Oxygen Gas Metabolizing
(Right Handed Amino-Acid)
2 (Male/Female) Sexual
Male: 100 annura
Male: 6 Metra
Male: 19 Kilobar
Anulian are bipedal forward hinge kneed mammals evolved from a common ancestor to the Anulian Wolf. Skin coloration varies by region from an extremely light almost white pink, to dark brown. Their bodies are covered with a layer of fine hair that thickens and accumulates atop the head, the lower extremities, groin region, and on the chest and faces of the males. Anulian females are typically distinguished by having smaller frames then the males and a pair of breasts on the chest.
An Anulian’s head is distinguished by having a pair of eyes mounted midway up the face under a mid-sized brow ridge. Extending down from the brow ridge between the eyes is a single nose that extends roughly triangularly out from the face with a pair of nostrils running side by side through it from the base. The bottom of the head is distinguished as having a single axis downward opening hinged jaw with limited lateral movement. The mouth has two U shaped rows of teeth, one mounted on the jaw and the other to the roof of the mouth. A pair of mid-sized elliptical ears are mounted to either side of the head and typically match the nose for vertical position.
Anulians have five digits on their feet and hands. The digits on Anulian feet are short with limited grasping ability, and in length are barely a tenth the length of their feet. The hand digits however are approximately half to the same length as their palms and are comprised of four primary fingers and a single opposable thumb mounted to the side of the hand at the base of the palm.
Genitals on the males are external, while females house their reproductive organs internally. Anulian females typically have thirteen fertile cycles an annura but only release a mature egg for fertilization during sexual intercourse.
Anulians are equipped with a dual cardiovascular system, with two hearts and four lungs. The Anulians can live on a single heart and two lungs
with no difficulty the primary heart and lung set handle are capable of sustaining an Anulian at their full activity level, the secondary set providing assistance during intense physical exertion. The secondary cardio system is not strong enough to keep an Anulian fully function for long and seems to have evolved to act as a sustaining system to keep severely injured Anulians alive.
Anulians Evolved from a common ancestor to Anulian Wolves as stated previously. This proto-wolf evolved along two different branches, the first developed into four-legged wolves while the other birthed a more simian species. The Simi-Wolf continued evolving for millennia until branching out once again, this time along three different paths, human, elfin and Lycan. The three races continued to evolve simultaneously with wars brought about by racial tension becoming uncommon in frequency. The Pre-Cataclysm Lycans were Wolfen in form, never taking fully human form, though having humanoid proportions. After the Cataclysm the three races branched again.
Of the thirteen domed cities that survived the cataclysm nine were populated exclusively by humans, three by elves, and one by Lycans, with a small human Elfin population. Inside the domed cities the populace was slowly adapted to the outside world inducing sometimes unforeseen changes and the emergence of genetic specialties. On the outside the changes were more drastic spawning many new species, most of which died out inside a few generations.
Interbreeding and mutations in the Lycan dome soon yielded interesting results. The domed Lycans after a few generations developed the ability
to transmute between human and wolfen form. The injection of silver was found to inhibit this and so was used to help control out of control
lycans. The Lycans outside the dome did not fair as well and those that survived evolved into two distinct groups. The Wolfen’s are, in appearance, quite similar to the pre-cataclysm Lycans, but have reverted to a near feral state. These Wolfen have smaller populations and are semi-sentient, having a simple language and nothing more. The so-called Battle Wolves evolved concurrently, growing massive batlike wings on their backs, allowing to the glide long distances. Battle Wolf populations were always very low, maintaining only a few scattered villages across Anul. The Battle Wolves were however wiped out during the Vedek Wars, due to their allegiance to the Draugh Vedek. Scattered sightings of Battle Wolves continued for centuries but the last sighting was in UCSB.
It is possible that a few Battle Wolves may have escaped into space, but few hold out hope in this regard. During the Great Death elves branched into two groups. The first is the more common group, a full head to a head and a half shorter then humans with only four digits per hand and pointed ears. Elf senses are superior to humans, especially night vision. Dwarves are a cross breed between humans and elves that dug into bunkers to survive. The bunker inhabitants soon began to dig, joining together and forming communities.
The communities dug massive ant-hill like mines, filled with numerous narrow tunnels. Many of these cramped mines were in the polar regions and as a result the dwarves evolved into a short, stout race with thick body hair. Dwarves have excellent night vision able to see better in the dark then any other humanoid Anulian race.
Anulians spawned numerous offshoot races, few of which survived the cataclysm, and most of those that did were wiped out during the Vedek
Wars. All Anulians races have members with what is known as “Genetic Specialties.” These are physical mutations that are not too severe, but are
in some cases border on magical in form.
Much of early Anulian history was lost after the cataclysm that devastated Anul three and a quarter millennia prior to the formation of the UCSB. What is known is that the history of pre-cataclysm Anul, also known as Catranul, was marred by seemingly endless near genocidal wars between the multiple sentient races and political factions that evolved on Anul. The cataclysm, known to the Anulians as the Great Death, resulted when a massive asteroid crashed into the planet on the
eve of a massive planetwide war, which employed nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. Those that survived the cataclysm only did so by hiding inside thirteen giant domed cities where they lived for nearly two and a half millennia. Some did survive outside the dome but only with horribly disfiguring mutations.
Upon leaving the domed cities Anulians took to a feudal existence reestablishing many of the old political boundaries, but many of the racial tensions disappeared. Feudal wars marked most of the next several centuries culminating in the great Vedek war some three centuries prior to the formation of the UCSB. The Vedek wars proved to help unite the Anulian people and as one they started to look outwards from themselves entering a fantastic renaissance.
Advances in art, science and philosophy soared during the following century and as a world the Anulians began to look beyond themselves and their world. Then two centuries prior to the formation of the UCSB a great colony ship launched by the Catranulians prior to the Great Death returned to Anul bearing technologies thousands of years beyond anything the Anulians had ever conceived of.
The Catranulians and their technology were quickly assimilated into Anulian society and nearly overcome by the knowledge given them by their long lost brethren the Anulians set out into space establishing colonies throughout their local planetary system and then moving out into the local stellar community quickly.
Inside of a generation the Anulians established themselves as great peacemakers and their role as intermediaries in conflicts became near legendary, especially their habit of using gunship diplomacy. During the great Vedekian invasion the Anulians fought bravely alongside the other embattled races eventually helping to drive out the Vedekian hordes. It was infact an Anulian who reintroduced hyperspace travel to the core worlds just twelve years prior to the UCSB formation, and were it not for Glead Vedrin, the Anulian who rediscovered the key to hyperspace travel, the coreworlds would have surely fallen to the Vedekian.
Anulians were amongst the first seven member worlds of the UCSB and their example led to many of the UCSBs key doctrine. Currently Anulians are one of the most key players in the UCSB/GF war, their genetic similarity to the Terrans allowing them to sneak into Terran groups easier them most other races.
Anulian culture is a mix of various belief systems and views, many of which have always been in contention with each other. Anulians have however been able to find common ground with which to end these conflicts and view fighting over such differences as race, creed, philosophy, or religion to be foolish and beneath them. This seems to be the most important factor in the Anulians ability to coexist with races that would otherwise be extremely hostile enemies.
Almost all Anulian cultures share common threads however. All Anulians without fail celebrate the dask of outcome every annura, commemorating the anniversary of their release from their domed cities. These celebrations take the form of all Anulians leaving the major cities and population centers to go out into the valleys and forests to celebrate, staying inside on the Day of Outcome is considered by most to be almost blasphemous.
Whether or not they follow his teachings all Anulians recognize the existence of the man known only as Messiah, the man who opened the domes and was martyred freeing the people of the thirteenth domed city. The legend of the Nocturnal Knights has always been a hotly debated topic, the thirteen knights having played a pivotal role in
the defeat of the Draugh Vedek at the end of the Vedek wars. Some however contend that the Knights of Nocturnal are nothing more then legend, while the more moderate say that legend has just exaggerated their role.
- Messiahism– Followers of the peaceful and tolerant teachings of Drig, the man who opened the domes. This includes multiple sub-denominations.
- The Tarian Order– An offshoot of Messiahism, the wizards of the Tarian order are regarded as great teachers and as holy men who have helped to
preserve many of the old ways in their lifestyle and teachings.
- Magabism– An older polytheistic religion, Magabism is based upon the existence of some 32 spirit entities and their sub entities who control everything from the cleanliness of ones home to the universe itself.
- Vulgon– Ancient Catranulian religion practiced primarily by the Tomeris, focuses on cleanliness and has strict rules controlling diet and conduct.
- Nari– Philosophical religion based primarily on reaching a higher plane of mental existence.
As of UCSB Census Date 1000, 20 billion including all colony worlds.
Anulian are subdivided by “genetic specialties” mutations that were a result of the Great Death. The Genetic Specialties vary and not all individuals have one, the most commonly occurring genetic specialties are listed below:
- Chameal– A rare ability seen only amongst the Chamelad, chameleons can change their skin color to blend in with their surroundings.
- Energy Gatherer- Anulians able to store and release electrical energy much like an electric eel.
- Healers- A very rare Genetic Specialty healers have the ability to heal almost any wound or illness by physical contact alone, but only for those
of like blood type.
- Iron Gut- Anulians who are immune to food poisons, popular as food tasters in ancient Anul.
- Multipliers- A rare Genetic Speciality, Multipliers are all female, though Males can carry the gene. In multipliers the females enhance the genetic specialty of their mates in the resulting offspring.
- Psionicism- Telepathic and Telekinetic abilities, most Anulian Psionics average at a level 6, with a few level nine, more than any other genetic specialty the number of psionics grows with every generation.
- Recalls- Anulians who possess an ability similar to but great strides beyond that of a photographic memory, to the point of being able to remember virtually everything they ever experience.
- Self Healer- Anulians with a hyper-immune system that has the ability to fight off nearly all illness and repair a great deal of physical trauma quickly.
- Zoom- An ability to reshape ones eyes to act like telephoto lens, most zoom can also move their eyes independent of one another.
- Dwarf- An offshoot race of the Anulian Human and Elf, Dwarves are distinguished primarily by their stout appearance (typically 4.5 Metra in height and 18+ Kilobar in mass). Dwarves also sport a great deal of body and facial hair, even amongst their females. Dwarf populations have been declining for centuries however as interbreeding with the other Anulian Species becomes more and more common.
- Elf– Elves evolved alongside humans and Lycans on Anul, and are distinguished by their slightly shorter more lithe appearance (Height: 4.75-5.6 Metra, Mass: 13 Kilobar). Elves are also distinguished by only having four digits per hand and foot and pointed ears. Elf populations have remained consistent for centuries despite interbreeding with other Anulian species.
- Tomeris– The Tomeris are actually the last surviving Catranulians and are the descendents of the original Catranulian Generation ship that set out before the great death. The Tomeris are named after the barely hospitable planet onto which the criminal element of the colony ship were deposited in order to remove them from the population. A society developed around proving oneself strong and smart enough to breed that has formed the core of Tomeris Society ever since. On the whole the Tomeris are only distinguishable by their much larger build and frames then the average Anulian, but are still considered a sub-species by choice.
- Lycanthrope– A stated above Lycans evolved alongside humans and Elves. Post cataclysm Lycanthropes are unique in that they can change physical form between Wolfen and Human form. Lycans can be broken down further into two subcategories (hereditary and infectious). Most Lycanthropes are hereditary in nature, but a few evolved venom glands in their hands and throats. These venom sack Lycanthropes are the infectious breed, the “Venom” they carry is actually a naturally occurring retrovirus. This retrovirus once introduced to a non-lycan host alters their genetic structure and most cases will result in genetic alterations that turn person into a Lycanthrope. All Infective Lycanthropes since the birth of the Confederacy have had their venom sacks removed surgically to prevent accidental infection.
- Valu– No one knows how the Valu came to be, but valuism has been proven to be a blood transferred infectious disease. As such steps were taken centuries ago to halt the spread of valuism, to the extent that no new case of valuism has been reported in three centuries. As such the valu population that currently exists is quite old, and showing their age, many believe that Valu on Anul will die out in another few centuries if the government does not allow new valu to be “infected.” Most living valu however are unwilling to make anymore of their race though, and the only people crying out to allow new vampire infections are those who wish to stave off death another few centuries.
Valu is an affliction exclusive to humans, elves, and dwarves, Lycans appear to be immune to infection for a reason that has eluded for scientists for close to a millennia. There is anecdotal evidence that Valu existed prior to the cataclysm, but there is no solid evidence of this, as is the case of most pre-cataclysm history. After the cataclysm three Valu species are known to have emerged. The human type is almost indistinguishable from those hunts with the exception of enlarge canines and pale complexions. All Valu “live” on blood alone, and with the exception of the Loslig find UV light deadly.
Valu are classified as the undead and will not die of old age, however they do continue to age, but at a rate significantly slower then that of other Anulians ~10:1. Bat type Valu look like enlarged bats, and as such are able to fly, but cannot blend in like the human type. The bat type were wiped out during and following the Vedek wars and none have been sighted since.
The Loslig are the only known Valu that is immune to UV light. However these Valu are little more then ghouls and must feed cyclically to survive. These vampires also continue to decompose after infection, though at a far slower rate then an uninfected corpse or ghoul. They are distinguishable as they have no body hair or fingernails and quickly develop translucent skin. This species is also believed to have been wiped out during the Vedek Wars as none have been sighted since.